Guide to Lijiang: The ancient city of Lijiang was built during the Yuan Dynasty. Lijiang once frequented by legendary travelers such as Joseph Rock and Bruce Chatwin, today it's a very popular destination in China and represents a certain kind of overcrowded tourism.
Table of Contents
- 1 Guide to Lijiang: The ancient city of Lijiang was built during the Yuan Dynasty. Lijiang once frequented by legendary travelers such as Joseph Rock and Bruce Chatwin, today it's a very popular destination in China and represents a certain kind of overcrowded tourism.
- 1.1 Map of Lijiang prefecture
- 1.2 What to see in Lijiang
- 1.2.1 Baoshan Stone Town, images
- 1.2.2 Baisha Murals, Lijiang
- 1.2.3 Yufeng Monastery, Lijiang
- 1.2.4 99 Dragon Ponds of Laojun Mountain
- 1.2.5 The Red Sandstone Landform of Liming
- 1.2.6 The First Bend of the Yangzi River in Shigu
- 1.2.7 The Ahxia walking marriage of the Mosuo People, Lugu Lake, China
- 1.2.8 The Tiger-leaping Gorge, Lijiang
- 1.2.9 Guide to the Black Dragon Pool, Lijiang
- 1.2.10 Guide to Shuhe Ancient town
- 1.2.11 The Jade Water Village
- 1.2.12 Guide to Yulong Snow Mountain
- 1.2.13 Travel to Lijiang Ancient Town
- 1.2.14 Lijiang, The cradle of the ancient Dongba culture
- 1.2.15 32 rare images of French Missionaries in Yunnan , 1933
- 1.2.16 Lijiang old town through the lens of a Lubitel 166+
- 1.2.17 Share this:
- 1.2.18 Like this:
- 1.2.19 Related
It was one of the first Chinese cities to become a UNESCO World Heritage site thanks to the unique architecture of the local houses built over the centuries by Naxi ethnicity, surviving a terrible earthquake in 1997 that did not spare modern buildings.
Map of Lijiang prefecture
Lijiang is an architectural jewel. Some of its visuals, such as the sea of roofs that can be admired from the surrounding hills, are certainly worth the price of the trip. Besides, around Lijiang, there are a number of very interesting sites. Baisha, the Jade Mountain, the Tiger Leaping Gorge, the Mosuo resorts are definitely excursions to be missed.
Lijiang lies in the northwest of Yunnan. Yulong Snow Mountain is the highest peak in Lijiang, but the natural scenes of Spruce Lawn、Yak Lawn and the glaciers embedded in it endow the snow mountain more elegant appearances in addition to its loftiness. The breathtaking Tiger-leaping Gorge is the place numerous visitors yearn. The natural environment of Lashihai attracted the migratory birds flying in. The lava scraps of Liming is not inferior to the Shibaoshan Mountain and three hills and five mountains.
The Ancient Town of Lijiang is the most suitable for people to live. The travelers stop their footsteps and stay here because of the quietness and leisure of the small town. The Ancient Naxi Music and Dongba script name as “living fossils”. The matriarchal marriage customs of men and women not being bound by marriage are now being retained in the beautiful Lugu Lake region.
Best tour time
It is warm in winter and cool in summer, so you are allowed to travel in Lijiang all the year round. But the best season is in September and October.
Note: Rainy season from June to August. You’d better bring short sleeves T-shirts, sweaters, coat, sun-blocking cosmetics and rain gears with you.
Lijiang is 625 kilometers from Kunming.
Air: It takes 40 minutes to take a plane from Kunming to Lijiang. The fare is ¥630. There is also direct flights to Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Banna, Shenzhen, Chengdu, etc.
Highway: From Kunming to Lijiang, you may take buses at Kunming Long-distance Automobile Passengers Transport Station, Panjiawan Long-distance Automobile Passengers Transport Station, East Transport Station, West Transport Station, South Transport Station, Nanyao Automobile Passengers Transport Station and the station in Guanshang Square. It takes about 10 hours. The fare for the ordinary bus is ¥126, ¥150~¥198 for the luxurious sightseeing bus.
Lijiang pancake, pea jelly, Sulima Liquor, Mosuos’ Pipa Meat, sausage filled in rice, preserved fruit, liquor fermented in the cellar
Sifang Snacks Street
Sited in Sifang Street, Big Stone Bridge in the ancient town. Here you may taste Small-Pot Rice Noodle, rice cooked in a sand pot and rice cooked with ham, etc. It is one of collecting food streets in Lijiang.
Dongba arras, leather products, Haitanguo, silver crafts
电话：86 888 5158111 传真：86 888 5169554
旅游咨询电话：86 888 5123432
Lijiang Municipal Tourism Bureau
Add: Tourism Building, Shangri-la Avenue, Lijiang Municipality
Tel: 86 888 5158111 Fax: 86 888 5169554
Traveling inquiry tel: 86 888 5123432
Photos: Oliver Huang, Matteo Damiani, Dominique Musorrafiti
What to see in Lijiang
Also published on Medium.