Table of Contents
- 1 The challenging project, part of China's planned national highway network, linking the opposite banks of the Pearl River, has an initial cost of 105 billion yuan (15.7 billion US dollars), and includes a tunnel, an artificial island, and the 55-km bridge.
The total length is 89 kilometres. The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge will reduce to less than 30-minute driving, the travel time between Zhuhai and Hong Kong. Before the completition of the bridge the travel was around one hour by sea and over three hours by car. The bridge will be a boost to the local tourism industry providing tourists with the opportunity of visiting Macau on top of visiting Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Projects
• HKLR connects the HZMB main bridge and the HKBCF. It will include sea viaduct, tunnel and at-grade road section along the eastern coast of Airport Island.
• Dual 3-lane carriageway and length approx. 12km.
Hong Kong Boundary Crossing Facilities (HKBCF)
• The HKBCF locates on an artificial island at the waters off the north-east of the HKIA; connecting Zhuhai and Macao via HKLR and HZMB. The HKBCF also connects to the HKIA as well as northwest New Territories and North Lantau (via TM-CLKL).
• Approx. 130 ha artificial island (excluding the 20 ha for the
landfall of TM-CLKL).
Tuen Mun – Chek Lap Kok Link (TM-CLKL)
• TM-CLKL connects with Tuen Mun Western Bypass at Tuen Mun Area 40 in the north, and with the HKBCF, Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) and North Lantau Highway in the south.
• Dual 2-lane carriageway and length approx. 9km.