China Underground > China News > The US announces visa restrictions on Chinese officials responsible for the crackdown in Hong Kong

The US announces visa restrictions on Chinese officials responsible for the crackdown in Hong Kong

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has announced visa restrictions on officials of the Chinese Communist Party.

The details of the officers targeted were not disclosed.

United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has announced that the White House will impose a series of restrictive measures on visas against Chinese officers responsible for the current situation in Hong Kong.

The decision Comes ah e ad of a three-day meeting of the Chinese parliament to be held on Sunday, during which it is expected that the new national security law for Hong Kong will be enacted. The new security law has alarmed foreign governments and democratic activists of the former British colony.

Visa restrictions will be applied to officers and former officers of the Chinese Communist Party who are believed to be responsible for threatening Hong Kong’s degree of autonomy.

Last month, the American president announced that after the Chinese decision to enact the new national security law, Hong Kong would no longer enjoy the status of a special economic zone, a status that allowed Hong Kong to remain a global financial center.

 

If you like this article, please help us by making a donation so that we can continue our work. Please help keep us independent.

 

According to a Bloomberg reporter, the number of officers affected by the ban was “in the single digits”.

The Chinese government, according to the embassy spokeswoman Fang Hong, said that China is opposed to the wrongful American decisions that interfere with Chinese domestic affairs.

“President Trump promised to punish the Chinese communist party officials who were responsible for eviscerating Hong Kong’s freedoms. Today, we are taking action to do just that,” Pompeo said, accusing China of putting pressure on local authorities to arrest democratic activists and to disqualify candidates in local elections.

The United States approved a law on Thursday that will impose mandatory sanctions against people or companies that support the Chinese effort to limit Hong Kong’s autonomy, including sanctions against banks that do business with anyone who was responsible for the crackdown in the former colony.

Featured image: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China on June 14, 2018. [State Department photo/ Public Domain]

 


Subscribe to China Underground and get the free magazine 'Planet China'

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.

By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our terms and conditions.

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.

Previous

HONOR Launches HONOR 9A, HONOR CHOICE True Wireless Earbuds

1 thought on “The US announces visa restrictions on Chinese officials responsible for the crackdown in Hong Kong”

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.