The legendary Silk Road existed long before the birth of Christ. It was not a single highway but a great web of trade routes. Until the 15th century the Silk Road was the largest trading network in the world, extending from China to the Mediterranean. Travellers had to cross dangerous mountain passes and inhospitable deserts, although they could break their journeys in fertile oases and prosperous small kingdoms. It was here that trade was conducted.0And art flourished. In connecting major civilisations, such as India, Persia, China and the Roman Empire, the Silk Road engendered unprecedented cultural exchange. This book presents the rare beauty of finds from vanished cities: wall paintings, Buddhas and precious artefacts of silk, silver, glass, gold and terracotta. All recovered during Russian archaeological expeditions in the 19th and 20th centuries. By explorers who trod in the footsteps of kings, merchants and Buddhist monks. Now readers can tread in the footsteps of these archaeological pioneers and follow the same trade routes to the West. On a journey through a world of unexpected and unbelievably splendid treasures.0Exhibition: Hermitage, Amsterdam, the Netherlands (01.03.-05.09.2014).
Expedition Silk Road Journey to the West
Table of Contents
- 1 Expedition Silk Road Journey to the West
- 1.0.1 Subscribe to China Underground and get Planet China
- 1.0.2 LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
- 1.0.3 Shanghai Daisy By Daisy Kwok
- 1.0.4 Portraits of trees of Hong Kong and Southern China
- 1.0.5 Interview with Daniel Reid, author and expert on Chinese tradition
- 1.0.6 Shots From the Hip by Daniel Reid
- 1.0.7 Interview with Clare Kane, author of Dragons in Shallow Waters, the story of a young English woman during the anti-foreign Boxer Rebellion
- 1.0.8 China’s Millennials: Interview with Eric Fish
- 1.0.9 Shanghai Daisy By Daisy Kwok
- 1.0.10 Portraits of trees of Hong Kong and Southern China
- 1.0.11 Interview with Daniel Reid, author and expert on Chinese tradition
- 1.0.12 40+ Chinese Movies, Anime, Documentaries to watch on Netflix, June 2019
- 1.0.13 Hundreds of thousands of protesters in Hong Kong against the extradition...
- 1.0.14 A conversation with Yafei Qi: generational gap, environment changes, social expectations
- 1.0.15 Interview with Hao Wu, director of ‘People’s Republic of Desire’ and...
Top Movies, Tv Shows, Anime, Documentaries from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan available on Netflix. Read: 40+ Chinese Movies, Anime, Documentaries to watch on Netflix,...