Kunming, the capital of Yunnan Province, one of 24 national historical and cultural cities in China, boasts the name of “Spring City” because it has a climate of eternal spring with warmth in winter and coolness in summer.
Table of Contents
- 1 Kunming, the capital of Yunnan Province, one of 24 national historical and cultural cities in China, boasts the name of “Spring City” because it has a climate of eternal spring with warmth in winter and coolness in summer.
- 1.1 Map of Kunming
- 1.2 The Provincial Capital Kunming
- 1.3 Trip to Kunming
- 1.4 What to see in Kunming
- 1.4.1 5 Things To Do In Kunming
- 1.4.2 The Customs of Sani People
- 1.4.3 Trip to Jingxing Flowers and Birds Market
- 1.4.4 Trip to Jiaoye Park
- 1.4.5 Trip to Haigeng Park
- 1.4.6 Trip to The Hot Spring in Anning City
- 1.4.7 Trip to Zheng He Park
- 1.4.8 Trip to Guandu
- 1.4.9 Trip to Panlong Temple
- 1.4.10 Trip to Caoxi Temple
- 1.4.11 Trip to Bamboo Temple
- 1.4.12 Trip to Yuantong Temple, Kunming
- 1.4.13 Trip to Zhu De’s Former Residence
- 1.4.14 Trip to The Old Site of Yunnan Military Academy
- 1.4.15 Trip to Zhong Ai Archway
- 1.4.16 Trip to Archways of Golden Horse and Jade Rooster
- 1.4.17 Trip to Yunnan Provincial Museum
- 1.4.18 Trip to Fubao Culture Town
- 1.4.19 Trip to Xiaoshuijing Miao Nationality Village
- 1.4.20 Trip to Yunnan Ethnic Villages
- 1.4.21 Trip to Green Lake Park
- 1.4.22 Trip to Daguan Park
- 1.4.23 Trip to The Western Hills Forest Park
- 1.4.24 Trip to The Golden Temple
- 1.4.25 Trip to The Expo Garden
- 1.4.26 Red Earth of Dongchuan District
- 1.4.27 Trip to Jiaozi Snowy Mountain
- 1.4.28 Trip to Jiuxiang
- 1.4.29 Trip to Kunming
- 1.4.30 Trip to Naigu Stone Forest
- 1.4.31 Trip to the Stone Forest
- 1.4.32 Exploring Dianchi Lake
- 1.4.33 Wild Stone Forest in Yunnan, 19 images
- 1.4.34 The Empire of Chinese Dwarfs (video + pics)
- 1.4.35 Luna Park fun in China
On this magic and beautiful land, the natural view and humanities view, history and reality reflecting on each other constitute a gorgeous painting.
Map of Kunming
The Provincial Capital Kunming
As the provincial capital of Yunnan, Kunming is the center of politics, economy, culture, transportation, and education. It is the biggest city which has a population of over 5.78 million and covers an area of 21,600 square kilometers. Located in the central basin of Yunnan, Kunming has an elevation of 1,891 meters and the annual average temperature is 15.1 Celsius. The climate here is comfortable and spring-like all the year around because the northern mountain ranges block the cold air from northern plateau and the southern warm and humid monsoon from Bengal Bay controls Kunming.
In addition, the Dianchi Lake and the Yangzong Lake act as the natural air conditioners that regulate the temperature and humidity in Kunming, hence result in the pleasant weather here. A famous poet in Qing Dynasty named Yang Shen had ever praised the local climate by the following poem: “Climate remains like that of February and March, and flowers blossom throughout the year.” Therefore, seagulls from Siberia have regularly flown to Kunming every winter for more than 20 years. Due to its favorable climatic condition, Kunming was chosen to be the site of 1999 World Horticulture Exposition. In addition, many amazing scenic spots here impress visitors, such as the Stone Forest, the Western Hill, Yunnan Ethnic Villages the Golden Temple and the EXPO- Garden.
Kunming is also a famous historical and cultural city. The name “Kunming” was originally the general address for minorities in southwestern China, and later became a place-name in Yuan Dynasty (1279—1368). In 1276, emperor Kublai established Yunnan province, and the political center of Yunnan was removed from Dali to Kunming. In 1928, Kunming was officially approved to be the city under the direct administration of the provincial government. Kunming is also reputed for the glorious tradition of revolution. For instance, Yunnan Army Military Academy was set up in Kunming in 1909.
The military school produced many outstanding students, including Zhu De, Ye Jianying, Long Yun, and Lu Han, who made great contribution to the democratic revolution of China. During the anti-Japanese war, the Southwest Associated University in Kunming was entitled the “Stronghold of Democracy”. It was a glorious page in the education history of China. In 1945, the December 1st Movement in Kunming condemned Kuomintang Party’s launching of the civil war, hence marked the beginning of Chinese liberation war. After the state open-door policy, Kunming develops on a fast track. Now, it has become a beautiful and modern municipality.
Trip to Kunming
Best Tour Time
It makes chilly temperatures in winters and severe heat in summers rather rare in Kunming known as “Spring City”. It is good for you to visit Kunming in every season.
Air:There are 10 inner-province airlines from Kunming to Xishuangbanna, Lijiang, Dali, Mangshi, Shangrila, Baoshan, Pu’er, Zhaotong, Lincang and Wenshan.
49 domestic airlines directly to:Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Taiyuan, Quanzhou, Yichang, Chongqing, Guiyang, Ha’erbin, Fuzhou, Chengdu, Jinan, Changsha, Hefei, Nanjing, Nanchang, Wuhan, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, Zhengzhou, Shenyang, Hangzhou, Dalian, Sanya, Xi’nin, Changchun, Luzhou, Qingdao, Wuxi, Xi’an, Wulumuqi, Xiamen, Wenzhou, Guilin, Shantou, Lanzhou, Yiwu, Lasa, Yibing, Nanning, Ningbo, Haikou, Changde, Huhehaote, Panzhihua, Jiuzhaigou
14 international airlines directly to: Hong Kong, Macau, Osaka, Seoul, Siam Reap, Bangkok, Mandalay, Dhaka, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Phuket, the Ho Chi Minh City, Vientiane
Railway: There are five railways departing from Kunming: Guiyang-Kunming, Chengdu-Kunming, Nanning-Kunming, Neijiang-Kunming, Kunming-Hekou. Kunming-Hekou Railway can directly reach Hanoi in Vietnam.
Railway information inquiry tel: 9630566666
Highway: The main passenger’s transport stations in Kunming are: Dongju Passengers Transport Station、Nanyao Passengers Transport Station、Xiyuan Passengers Transport Station.
Urban buses: It takes one yuan to take buses in the urban district of Kunming. Generally, the early buses start at 6:00-6:30, the last buses at 22:00-22:30.
Taxi: There are two types of taxi: one is Citroen、Jetta、Santana，¥8 with the first 3 kilometers, ¥1.8 per kilometer beyond 3 kilometers; another is Xiali, ¥7 with the first 3 kilometers, ¥1.6 per kilometer beyond 3 kilometers. You are required to pay ¥9.6 with the first 3 kilometers, ¥2.4 per kilometer beyond 3 kilometers after 10 o’clock at night.
Taxi supervisory tel: 0871-3312533
Attention: In the taxi of Kunming there is a number and a distinct pattern of one animal standing for a team of taxis. If you lost something in the taxi, it is convenient for you to find out so long as you remember what the animal is.
What to see in Kunming
reltated topics: kunming hotel,kunming hotel kunming china,kunming hotel china,hotels in kunming,kunming accommodation,kunming travel guide,kunming guide,kunming map,kunming attractions,kunming china,kunming weather